This amazing spiced porridge is inspired by Nama in Notting Hill’s food-gasmic menu. A great idea is to throw all the ingredients into a mason jar the night before to let the oats soak up the flavours. You can swap the dates for shredded apple or other dried fruit. Porridge is a great breakfast as it has lots of healthy fibers that fill you up and keep your blood sugar levels in place. Add hemp seeds for an extra protein hit!
- 1/3 cup oats
- water, milk of choice or canned coconut milk
- 1 tbs cacao nibs
- 1 chopped date
- a dash of cinnamon, cardamom and/or clove
- 1 tbs chopped nuts and/or hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon maca or other superfood powder (optional)
1. Put all the ingredients apart from the maca powder in a mason jar and fill up with boiling water just enough to cover the oats. If you don’t have time to leave it over night even just 10 minutes will be enough for the oats to soak up most of the liquid.
2. Heat up the porridge in a sauce pan adding extra milk if needed. Canned coconut milk gives it a really creamy texture. As there is no need for the superpowers to be heated up I would just add them in last in case the heat would make them loose any of the nutrients.
3. Serves with berries, fruits, more nuts and seeds or anything you like! I used pistachios, figs and some organic maple syrup.