If you love the flavours traditionally used in Thai cooking but are a little bit bored of the usual Red Curries and Green Papaya Salads this is lemongrass and thai basil pea soup is for you. It’s super easy and fast to make, and will provide your body with lots of nutrients thanks to the kale, ginger and fresh herbs. Did I mention it also tastes absolutely amazing? You can tweak the recipe by swapping the lemongrass or thai basil for coriander or only mint and ginger depending on what you like. If you want to include extra protein I suggest adding a sprinkle of hemp protein, white fish or chicken to your soup.
- coconut oil for frying
- 1 shallot
- garlic (optional)
- 1 small knob ginger
- 1 green chili
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- thai basil
- fresh mint
- 1/2 lime
- 1,5 cup fresh green peas
- 1 big handful kale
- approximately 3 cups of water or stock
- 2 tbs coconut milk (canned version)
- salt and pepper
1. Chop and saute shallots, lemongrass, ginger and chili. If you like garlic you can add that as well.
2. Add peas, kale and water/broth. Simmer for about 15 minutes. I used water and a teaspoon Kallo Organic Stock.
3. Add the mint, thai basil, juice of 1/2 lime and coconut milk, simmer for another 5 min or so.
4. Transfer the soup into a blender or use a handheld mixer to puree everything. Taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve with fresh herbs, water cress, a drizzle of olive oil or why not my go-to decoration pistachio nuts.