A healthy version of French Toast can be a great solution when you are craving a really indulgent breakfast or brunch. Amaretto, the Italian almond liquor, can of course be substituted for something else (some cinnamon maybe?) but I personally love the taste of it. You can make this recipe vegan by using chia seeds instead of eggs. Sometimes I also serve it with some chia rasberry jam.
- coconut oil for frying
- bread of choice (I used a multi-grain gluten free version)
- mixed berries
- 1 cup milk of choice (I used almond)
- 1/4 flour of choice (buckwheat, tapioca, almond, rice etc)
- 1 egg alt. 2 tbs of chia seeds
- a dash of salt
- some vanilla essence (optional)
- 1/2 cup of yoghurt ( I used a non-dairy coconut version)
- approximately 3 cl Amaretto
1. Mix the yoghurt with Amaretto to make the creme, set aside
2. Whisk all the ingredients for the batter together. If you are using chia seeds instead of eggs let the batter sit for little bit so the seeds can gel
2. Heat up a pan with some coconut oil. Quickly dip the bread into the batter and fry on both sides, a few minutes on each
3. Serve with the Amaretto creme and berries, enjoy!