Lentils are one of the best sources of plant-based protein. This Indian dahl is the ultimate comfort food when you are craving something warm and nourishing but that’s also good for you. The coconut milk makes it thick and creamy and together with the spices it just created an amazingly rich flavoursome dish, perfect for cold London days. Turmeric, ginger and cinnamon have amazing health benefits and are anti-inflammatory which is great for fighting off potential flus. For some people with extremely sensitive stomachs lentils can be hard to digest but pulsing them with a handheld mixer can help. You will get the same amazing flavoured soup, but smooth!
There are hundred variations of dahl and you don’t really need to use any exact measurements (I never do!) but I’ll share what is sort of my standard recipe here:
- Coconut oil for frying the vegetables
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger (3-4 cm), finely chopped
- 1 – 2 red chilis, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 large stick of celery, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cups of lentils (any kind), soaked over night or for at least 6 hours
- 1/2 – 1 can of organic coconut milk (I prefer Biona because it doesn’t have any e-additives)
- any organic spice blend that you like , I have used Seasoned Pioneers Cardamom Masala or even Moroccan Ras-El Hanout
- Depending on the spice blend (or if you don’t have any) I also like to add in 2 bay leaves, some turmeric, a cinnamon stick and fresh coriander
Sauté onions, chili and ginger in a big pot with a small amount of coconut oil. Add in the rest of the finely chopped vegetables, stir/leave to cook for a few minutes. Add in lentils (rinse them first in a drainer), coconut milk and water and spices. Let simmer for at least 30 min or maybe even hours if you can to let all the flavours come out. If you are adding more vegetables such as tomatoes, broccoli, spinach or fresh herbs add them right before serving.
PS: If you have any tips on how to spice up this dish differently please leave a comment below